Cherry and blueberry cream pie
Oh, summer. How I love you.
So I know it's not technically summer yet, but nothing beats seeing all of the fresh fruits and vegetables overflowing on the store shelves. I love that at this time of year, my cart is full of them.
You all know that we have already been going crazy on the strawberries, but I'm switching things up. Because when you see fresh cherries arrive at the store, you don't let those babies pass you up.
I have been a fan of sour cream pies for a while now. My Sour Cream Apple Pie is my all-time favorite pie. This Cherry and Blueberry Cream Pie is kind of along the same lines – with a creamy, fruit-filled pie topped with a crunchy streusel topping. Streusel toppings are really becoming an obsession with me – an obsession I'm totally ok with. One of these days I'm going to master the art of a double crust pie, but today is not that day. 🙂 Then combine those cherries with blueberries, because I'm convinced that they are a match made in heaven.
So get out there to your farmer's market or grocery store and load up on the fresh cherries while you can. And bake them into this Cherry and Blueberry Cream Pie. You won't regret it.
For the pie:
- 1 unbaked pie crust
- 1½ cups fresh blueberries
- 1½ cups fresh cherries, halved and pits removed
For the cream:
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
For the streusel:
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cold butter
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Roll the pie crust out for a 9-inch pie dish. (I used a deep dish pie dish, but this should fit in a standard dish. Just make sure you put the dish on a baking sheet in case there is any run-over.) Place the crust in the dish and flute the edges. Poke the bottoms and sides with a fork.
- Spray a piece of foil with nonstick cooking spray and place in the pie dish, sprayed side on top of the crust. Fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and remove the foil and weights.
- While the crust is par-baking, prepare the cream. In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, flour and salt. Add in the eggs, sour cream and almond extract and stir until combined.
- In another bowl, make the streusel. Combine the sugar and the flour. Cut the butter into small cubes and add to the mixture. Using a fork, your fingers or a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the sugar and flour until it resembles coarse meal.
- When the crust is done, place the blueberries and cherries in the crust. Pour the cream mixture evenly over the top of the berries. Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the top.
- Bake the pie for 20 minutes, then cover the edges of the pie with a pie shield or foil. Continue to bake the pie until the center is set and the topping is golden brown, about 35 minutes longer.
- Let the pie cool to room temperature, then refrigerate.
RELATED: Blueberry pie recipe