7 ways to sleep better tonight
Tossing and turning before bedtime, and can't figure out why? You may not be doing everything you need for a good night's sleep.
Here's a checklist of everything that may be negatively impacting your well-deserved snooze:
1) Drinking caffeine after lunch: Sodas, coffees and similar beverages should be avoided within four to six hours of sleep.
2) Consuming alcohol before bed can make you fall asleep faster, but it will cause more disruption in sleep and delayed REM.
3) Smoking! It's best to avoid the stimulant effects of nicotine and/or sleep disordered breathing conditions
4) Eating large meals before bed is another no-no. Consuming too much food disrupts normal sleep-wake cycles.
5) Drinking excessive fluids after dinner is another "don't." Though drinking a lot of water is always recommended, limiting it closer to bed time will lead to fewer bathroom trips.
6) Exercising within three hours of bedtime: This can overstimulate your body, making it hard to relax.
7) And lastly, using bed for non-sleep activities is bad news. Your bed needs to be associated with sleep, not screens, so avoid conducting work, talking on the phone or browsing the Internet in bed.
By cutting out these activities, you're sure to have a much better, calmer night of sleep!
Click through the gallery below for more sleep tips: