How to make the most of your maxi dress
By: The Elgin Avenue
A maxi dress is one of those summer style items which is a non-negotiable for me. If it was an animate object it would walk itself right on in to my suitcase, settle in and get cosy – it knows it's a welcome addition to the holiday wardrobe family.
One of my very favourite things about a maxi dress is its versatility. Chose the right one for you and you'll use it many more times than in those precious vacay weeks.
Dress: American Vintage – Old (Similar) | Shirt: Rails c/o
Sandals: Ace + Spades c/o | Belt – Old (Similar)
Sunglasses: Taylor Morris c/o | Clutch Bag: Elizabeth Scarlett c/o
Bangles: Serefim & Feather & Stone
HOW TO MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR MAXI DRESS
DRESS IT UP
- Delicate gold necklaces and big holiday earrings (I love ALL of these)
- Barely-there sandals
- Golden limbs, moisturiser essential
- A great clutch. I love my new Elizabeth Scarlett wash bag which I am using as a clutch – it's way too pretty to be muckied by my makeup! I also love Star Mela for perfect summer clutches – I bought one last year and I've used it countless times.
In the summer, with a tan, you need so little else to accentuate your glow. A maxi dress immediately lends an elegant essence to your look, allow it to do its fine work.
DRESS IT DOWN
- A pretty bralette peeping out
- Great walk-everywhere sandals (I love these)
- A low-slung belt (as seen in another way I styled my dress here)
- A big straw tote – I always buy mine on holiday.
The beauty of a maxi dress is that is really can be worn with total nonchalance. In the day time keep everything really relaxed, I love how it looks with sandals, a low-slung belt and a big tote – it basically demands that you find your nearest cafe and sit down with a stack of magazines to read. Ideal!
- Denim jacket or a 'top layer' shirt
- A waist belt
As seen in these photos, I layered my maxi dress with a shirt over the top. A maxi dress will keep you warm when you need it to, and cool when you're too hot – it really IS an all-rounder. A* to you maxi dress.
RELATED: 20 spring styles you will want to steal