Artificial sweetener could kill your dog

Artificial Sweetener Could Kill Your Dog
Artificial Sweetener Could Kill Your Dog

As a dog owner, you may spend a great deal of time trying to keep your pup away from the treats that may be dangerous.

Common examples of these things include chocolate, coffee, and small toys.

SEE ALSO: How to be a wine professional when you're really not

Now, there's one more thing to keep your dog away from: chewing gum.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has published new warnings outlining how xylitol, an artificial sweetener most often found in sugar-free gum, can be poisonous to dogs.

The xylitol rapidly decreases your pooch's sugar levels, and the consequences are potentially lethal.

Symptoms that occur from xylitol poisoning include vomiting, decreased activity, weakness, collapse and seizures.

RELATED: Foods you didn't know you could freeze


Xylitol is also found in breath mints, baked goods, children and adults' chewable vitamins, cough syrup and toothpaste.

It's important to note that owners should only use special pet toothpaste when brushing a dog's teeth.

The Animal Poison Control Center reports that xylitol-related calls have spiked from just 82 calls in 2004 to over 3,700 calls in 2014.

So even if your dog has the most heart-wrenching puppy eyes, stick to using dog biscuits as your go-to treat. It could save his life!