The disease that more people than you think are silently suffering from
The diseases and sicknesses that people are usually most fearful of are the fatal ones. And while that's undeniably understandable, the ones that you have to live with and through every single day are equally insufferable and threatening. Fibromyalgia is a disorder characterized by chronic musculoskeletal pain, fatigue, sleep, memory and mood issues. Living with chronic pain is far from a walk in the park.
Several people who suffer from fibromyalgia took to Whisper, the popular app that provides an anonymous platform for people to share their most honest thoughts, to discuss what it's like to live every day with the disorder.
1. Just because it doesn't kill you, that doesn't mean that it doesn't change your life:
2. Fibromyalgia can make everyday activities feel nearly impossible:
3. The disorder is not ageist:
4. Alzheimer's and dementia are not the only diseases that threaten memory loss:
5. Just because you can't see fibromyalgia doesn't mean it's not there:
6. When you suffer from a chronic disorder, it might not feel like the way you live your lie is up to you:
7. Expressing your discontent with your disorder doesn't make you a baby:
8. One of the worst things about certain disorders is knowing that the people around you don't know what it's like:
9. Early onset fibromyalgia might make you feel like you're way older than you are:
10. No one wants to feel ostracized for something they can't control:
11. It's one thing if your disorder affects your own life, but you don't want it to negatively impact someone else's:
Want to hear more from people with fibromyalgia? Check out Whisper!
Think you might have the disorder? Here are the symptoms:
More from Whisper:
Women express how they really feel about their bodies post-pregnancy
11 teachers who couldn't imagine having any other job
Why it's okay to be estranged, from 12 people who don't talk to their parents