Surprise your guests with a handmade and adorable checkerboard cake
This is even truer when it comes to enjoying desserts. It's the reason that these adorable, Sesame Street–inspired birthday cupcakes continue to be a crowd-pleaser time and time again!
In an exclusive video below, we share an amazing tutorial for checkerboard cake. It may seem rather complex at first, but you'll soon find out that you can so easily make this cake by using a simple trick.
After preparing cakes from regular store-bought cake mix, simply use different stencils to form different shapes within the cake. Wait til you get to stack together this beautifully patterned cake — you'll love it!
Make sure to check out the recipe, then watch the video to see how simple this stunning cake really is.
Will you be making your own checkerboard cake at home? Let us know which colors you plan on using in the comments below!Checkerboard Cake
- Cook: 28 minutes
- Prep: 40 minutes
- Serves 6
- 2 boxes of cake mix, differently colored
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cups vegetable oil
- 6 large eggs
- Icing of your choice
- Rainbow sprinkles (optional)
- Bake cakes according to box instructions, using 9-inch pans. Divide into 4 batches, to end up with 2 cakes of each color.
- For each cake, use 6- and 3-inch circle templates to cut out concentric rings.
- Arrange the rings of the opposite color to fit into a cake, in order of size. Trim off any uneven layers.
- Place first layer on cake stand. Cover with a thin layer of icing.
- Top with second layer of cake, and cover with icing. Repeat, until all layers of cake are used.
- Cover entire cake with icing, and top with sprinkles. Enjoy!
Make sure to check out the video below for the full instructions! Please SHARE if you'll be giving this adorable cake a try!
More from LittleThings:
You've never seen cheese done right until you've seen how Raclette does cheese
Breakfast tortilla cups are a delicious new way to start the day
Korean restaurant creates viral food trend with flaming dome pizza
Strawberry shortcake cupcakes are a delicious springtime treat