Zucchini tater tots
My Zucchini Tots are the perfect addition to anyone's lunchbox- kids and adults alike!These adorable bites are easy to make and they pack a nutritional punch.It's just one of the many nutritious recipes featured in my new cookbook Natural Baby Food, that's being released on April 26th.They make a great snack, lunch or appetizer for the whole family and even works great as a finger food for babies.
These tots are a healthy twist on classic tater tots. Classic tots are deep fried and made with potatoes, but these guys are baked and feature zucchini. Zucchini packs a nutritional punch! It's high in fiber and several vitamins and minerals including Vitamin C, Vitamin K, B vitamins, potassium and manganese.One medium zucchini supplies more than half of your daily Vitamin C needs!
To make the tots, I mix shredded zucchini with some minced shallot and dried spices and bind it all together with an egg, breadcrumbs and yummy cheese.I like to use Italian spices and a mixture of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese and serve the tots with marinara sauce for dipping.But what I love about this recipe is that it's a blank slate and you can use whatever types of seasoning and cheese you like.They would also be delicious with cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, dipped in a healthy Ranch style sauce.
Just be sure to wring out as much water from the zucchini as you can.Zucchini has a high water content so this step is important to prevent the tots from getting soggy.After forming the mixture into tater tot shapes, simply spray them with olive oil and pop them in the oven.After about 20 minutes, they'll be puffed up and ready to be devoured!
Makes 16 tots
- 1 heaping cup grated zucchini
- ¼ cup finely chopped shallot or yellow onion
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup whole wheat panko or other unseasoned dried breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Olive oil
- Marinara sauce for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place the grated zucchini in cheesecloth or a kitchen towel and wring all of the excess water out (it will be a lot!).
- Place the zucchini in a bowl along with all of the other ingredients except the olive oil.Mix until combined.If the mixture seems too wet, add a little more breadcrumbs.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.Take a tablespoon of the mixture and form it into an oval shape.Repeat with the remaining mixture.Arrange the tots on a single layer on the baking sheet and spray or brush the tops lightly with olive oil.
- Bake until puffed up and cooked through, about 20 minutes.Flip halfway through cooking.Serve with marinara sauce or other dipping sauce.
One tot: Calories 20; Fat 0.8g (Sat 0.4g); Protein 1.4g; Carb 2g; Fiber 0.3g; Sodium 60mg