How to make homemade pizza rolls
By: Taste and Tell
Oh, carbs... You get me every time.
I will readily admit that I could never go off carbs. I tried once. And it was not pretty. Needless to say, it did not last long. At all. I was grumpy and irritable, and just not a nice person to be around.
So I can say with a surety that carbs are in my life to stay.
Especially when they resemble pizza. I have talked about pizza so much here on this blog that you all are probably so tired of hearing about how much we love it. Well, I decided to make a pizza starter to eat before we had our pizza. (Too much pizza??? Never!!)
I know that pizza rolls are nothing new, but believe it or not, I had never made them before this pizza roll recipe. And now I'm mourning all of those years lost without these carby, cheesy, flavorful rolls.
And happy day, it doesn't get much easier than this Homemade Pizza Roll Recipe. It's perfect for pizza night because it starts out with my favorite pizza dough. (The pizza dough recipe makes a ton of dough, so this is a great thing to do with some of that excess dough if you don't want to make a million pizzas!) Spread on some pizza sauce, pepperoni, and cheese, roll it up and cut it into rolls. Bake them with even more cheese on top. Ooey, gooey, carb perfection.
Not only is this a great starter for pizza night, but they are perfect for after school snacks, and especially perfect for game day. I can pretty much guarantee that these babies will disappear.
You are welcome.
Homemade Pizza Roll Recipe
- 1 lb pizza dough
- ½ cup marinara sauce or pizza sauce
- 3 oz sliced pepperoni
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- basil, for serving
- Line a 9x9" baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Lightly flour a work surface and roll the dough into an 8x12" rectangle. Spread the pizza sauce over the dough to the edges. Top with the pepperoni, then 1¾ cups of the mozzarella cheese. Starting on the long side, roll the dough up to form a log. Trim the edges if uneven, then cut the dough into 9 equal slices. Place the slices, cut side down, in the prepared baking dish, making 3 rows of 3 rolls each. Cover the dish with foil and let it sit to rise for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375ºF. Place the rolls in the oven, still covered, and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and return the pan to the oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes. The rolls should be browned and the cheese melted. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup of mozzarella and the 1 tablespoon of parmesan over the top of the rolls, then return to the oven until the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes.
- Let the rolls cool slightly in the pan, then top with the basil and serve.
More from Taste & Tell: