Chocolate whiskey cake
Are y'all ready for the most delicious thing your Monday has ever seen? It's boozy, chocolatey, & perfect for literally every occasion. It's our new favorite dessert, the Chocolate Whiskey Cake! One bite of this & your life will be changed forever! xoxo, LK
Hello there! Constance here. Confession: I definitely ate more than half of that cake pictured above. I'm not sure how it happened, but just beware, it's sort of dangerous! Perfect for a birthday, celebration, "hooray we made it through Monday" party, or just because – no matter the occasion, this cake is perfect for a crowd and will please even the most dessert averse friends. Trust me when I say this, you are about to become everyone's favorite baker. Bring this to your next dinner party & you could start a fan club. Not such a terrible thing to be known for fantastic whiskey cake, you know?
INGREDIENTS FOR CAKE:
-1.5 cups of dark chocolate chips
-1 cup water
-1/2 cup instant espresso
-1/2 cup cocoa powder
-4 cups flour
-1/2 tsp sea salt
-2 tsp baking powder
-2 cups of unsalted butter (4 sticks)
-6 large eggs
-3 cups sugar
-1.5 tbsp vanilla extract
-2 cups whiskey (we used Knob Creek)
INGREDIENTS FOR ICING:
-1/2 cup egg whites
-1 cup granulated sugar
-1 1/2 cups butter (cubed, room temperature)
-1 tsp vanilla
-3 oz dark chocolate (melted and cooled)
-Ground cinnamon for dusting
-1/2 cup of dark sweet cherries
INSTRUCTIONS FOR CAKE:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat 4 8-inch cake pans with coconut oil spray & in a medium sized saucepan, slowly melt the dark chocolate and set aside to cool.
2. Bring the water to a boil, add the espresso and cocoa powder and set aside to cool. Add the chocolate to the espresso/cocoa mixture, and whisk until evenly combined.
3. In a medium sized bowl, sift together the flour, salt and baking powder and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, whip the butter until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, sugar and vanilla and beat until combined.
4. Add the whiskey to the coffee/cocoa mix and then combine that mix with the batter. Slowly add the flour mixture to the batter. Beat until evenly combined. Divide batter evenly amongst pans and bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
5. Let cool for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR ICING:
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites and sugar until until the mixture becomes a meringue (approx. 10 minutes.) Slowly add the cubed butter and mix until smooth. Add the vanilla, melted chocolate and whip until smooth.
2. Frost cake and top with a light dusting of cinnamon and the sweet dark cherries.