13 convincing reasons to unplug from social media
At this day and age, it's hard to come across someone who's totally unplugged from all things social media. This doesn't just mean that you're not on Tinder -- we're talking no Facebook, no Instagram, no GroupMe, no nothing! It may seem to many people that this is akin to leaving civilization and taking up residence in a remote cave somewhere, but lots of people would beg to differ.
Several people who have no social media affiliation took to Whisper, the popular app that provides an anonymous platform for people to share their most honest thoughts, to explain what it's really like to be so separate from the digital world.
1. When everyone around you is on social media, you might feel like the odd man out:
2. Sometimes disconnecting from one medium can help you connect better with another one:
3. Social media obsession begs the question -- which is the real you: The you on or offline?
4. It might be easy to lose sight of yourself when you're too involved with online communities:
5. Paranoia is real -- but is it valid?
6. You might not realize how much stress media is giving you until you disengage:
7. Sometimes, social deactivation is just a test of loyalty:
8. Some people don't feel like a digital relationship is a real one:
9. You might need to use a large-scale method to solve your small-scale problem:
10. Sometimes, people assign negative terms to the things they don't understand:
11. Although the Internet provides a community for some, not everyone feels connected through it:
12. When you're too wrapped up in one thing, you tend to forget the other things that matter to you:
13. Can you say 'TMI'?
Want to hear more from those without social media? Check out Whisper!
Interested in how social media got to be what it is today? Cruise through the video below:
More from Whisper:
12 confessions from male victims of domestic abuse will stop you in your tracks
10 things you didn't know about being a cosmetologist
11 obsessors who definitely love Amazon.com more than you