14 reasons an open relationship might be the answer to your marital problems
Have you ever been in that harrowing kind of situation where you love two people at once, or you have a partner you care about but you want freedom to explore? In many cases, being in a relationship means that you can't do either of these -- you have agreed to carry on a monogamous lifestyle, and that's the way it has to be, right?
Well, not necessarily.
14 spouses took to Whisper, the popular app that provides an anonymous platform for people to share their most honest thoughts, to explain how, and why, an open marriage really works.
1. It may not seem this way to an outsider, but many open couples see their freedom as a strength to their relationship, not a weakness:
2. Sometimes, taking the pressure to be perfect away can make everything a lot easier:
3. Being 'open' can allow you to feel like you haven't just chosen one life, you can continue to explore:
4. Is it healthy to use your open relationship to fill a void?
5. You can even be happy for your spouse when he or she is involved with a healthy fling:
6. Could you watch your partner get all dressed and ready for a date with someone other than you?
7. The key to any healthy relationship is honesty:
8. Although you may be on the same page with boundaries, if one member of the couple doesn't have as much success in dating outside the marriage, it could make for an awkward situation:
9. You can get to experience different sides of your partner when you have an open relationship:
10. From the perspective of someone in a successful open relationship, a monogamous marriage might seem strange:
11. Just because your marriage is open doesn't mean you have to seek out an extramarital relationship:
12. Being available doesn't mean you're looking to go home with someone:
13. Just because your marriage is open doesn't mean that you and your spouse don't know each other better than anyone else:
14. Is your open marriage a genuine desire, or a defense mechanism?
Peruse Whisper if you want to hear more shocking confessions from open spouses!
Get even more perspective on an open marriage:
More from Whisper:
Is it ever too late to go back to school? 11 adult college students say no
How meditation might solve lots of your problems, from 12 experts
14 things you didn't know about being a stay-at-home dad