Fire in restaurant sends smoke billowing from Grand Central

Fire In Restaurant Sends Smoke Billowing From Grand Central Station

MANHATTAN (WPIX) -- Emergency crews responded to Grand Central Tuesday afternoon as fire burned inside a restaurant's duct work, sending dark smoke billowing above the transit hub, fire officials said.

The call came in about 2 p.m., FDNY said. Witnesses reported seeing heavy smoke pouring from the terminal's roof.

See more from the scene:

Smoke pours out of New York's Grand Central Terminal
See Gallery
Fire in restaurant sends smoke billowing from Grand Central
Kitchen fire at grand central in midtown #NYC today
#FDNY responds to fire at Junior's in Grand Central. #breaking
What the hell is goin on! Lotta smoke #grandcentral #newyork
Heavy smoke pouring out of Grand Central
FDNY: Fire at Grand Central is in Junior's Restaurant.

An MTA spokesman said the smoke came from Junior's, located in the basement food court of the terminal. FDNY said the smoke was caused by fire in the restaurant's duct work.

According to the FDNY, a fire suppression system went off in the kitchen, sending water into the restaurant.

By 2:30 p.m., the fire appeared to be extinguished and an acrid smell of burned food lingered, a witness told PIX11 News. Large puddles of water covered the floor of the food court and the restaurant appeared to be cordoned off by emergency tape.

Patrons in the restaurant were evacuated. There were no evacuations from the actual terminal.

No one was hurt, fire officials said.

The MTA says the smoke condition did not impact train service.

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.