What it's really like to struggle with alcoholism, from 12 addicts
Several people took to Whisper, the popular app that provides an anonymous platform for people to share their thoughts, to reveal what it's really like to struggle with alcoholism.
1. Although the first step to getting better is admitting that you have a problem, that doesn't make the rest of your journey any easier:
3. Admitting you have a problem to yourself might be way easier than admitting it to others:
4. Your addiction might be exacerbating your mental health issues:
5. An alcoholic might make happiness and alcohol synonymous:
6. Alcohol is not only bad for your mental health, it also damages your body:
7. Your addiction doesn't disqualify all of your positive qualities and triumphs:
8. Seeking support might feel shameful because of your addiction:
9. You should learn to be proud of yourself without the help of any substances:
10. What kind of life are you living if you don't remember any of it?
11. You should never rely on a substance to help you cope with tragedy:
12. Addiction can hold you back from reaching your full potential:
Want more confessions from alcoholics? Check out Whisper!
Find out more about the dangers of too much alcohol: