France begins clearing part of Calais migrant camp
CALAIS, France, Feb 29 - Work began on Monday to clear a shanty town outside Calais used by migrants trying to reach Britain after the French government won a legal battle to dismantle part of the camp.
One person was arrested for trying to prevent the clearing of the site - where about 3,000 people are staying - by about 20 workers under heavy police protection.
Regional Prefect Fabienne Buccio said the police presence was needed because "extremists" could try to intimidate migrants into turning down housing offers or buses to reception centers.
SEE EARLIER: French judge views Calais "jungle" before migrants' appeal
Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said last week that authorities would work with humanitarian organizations to relocate the migrants to a nearby park of converted shipping containers or other reception centers around France.
On Thursday a judge upheld a government order to evict migrants living in the southern part of the camp, although a few makeshift buildings of social importance such as a school and a theater are to remain untouched.
Thousands of migrants fleeing war and poverty, from Afghanistan to Syria, have converged on the northern port over the past year.
Most attempt to climb illegally onto trains using the Channel Tunnel or lorries heading to Britain where they hope to settle. Their presence has led to tension with some of the local population and to a permanent police deployment.
See more from around Calais, France:
More on AOL.com:
3 men shot dead 'execution-style' in Indiana
Woman arrested in Moscow for murder after brandishing child's severed head
Dutch find 10 Syrian war crime suspects among thousand of migrants