Turn chicken pot pie on its head by adding this simple yet flavorful ingredient
And this recipe, full of hearty flavor and healthy ingredients, is the perfect one for a cold, dark, winter night.
It will take a bit of time and preparation to make, but the good news about pot pies is that if properly wrapped, they actually freeze really well, so you can make a bunch and store them for later! Then you can defrost and bake anytime you're craving a delicious, warming meal.
Just like this hearty, warm beef stroganoff pasta dish, this will keep you full and warm for hours, and ready to curl up with your favorite blanket and book!
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 8 oz. mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 4 cups shredded chicken
- 1 cup peas
- 1 1/2 Tbsps. dry mustard
- 2 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground red pepper
- 1 package puff pastry
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Dice bacon into small pieces and sauté in a pan. Drain on a paper towel.
- Sauté garlic, onion, carrot, and mushrooms in the remaining bacon fat until tender.
- Add in the white wine and flour. Stir until you have no more lumps.
- Add chicken broth and whipping cream and stir until even, then add your spices.
- Gently stir in your chicken and peas until they're evenly coated. Add in your bacon.
- Spoon the mixture into small ramekins until just under completely full.
- Roll out a piece of your puff pastry until smooth, and press over the top of the ramekins. Trim off excess.
- In a separate bowl, stir up an egg and brush gently over the top of each pie.
- Bake at 400 °F for 40 minutes.
SHARE this recipe with your friends and family to ensure they stay cozy and warm until spring!
More from LittleThings:
Learn how to bake a decadent and delicious dairy-free chocolate cake!
Great-grandmother shares how she made pizza during the Great Depression
Classic fried green tomatoes are your new favorite savory side dish
Whip up delicious cinnamon roll pancakes for a heavenly breakfast treat!