Many feel the development of antiperspirant and deodorant is among humankind's greatest achievements, but it appears the products do more than keep odor at bay.
A recent study published in PeerJ found the personal hygiene boosters affect the composition of underarm microbe colonies.
Testing involved a small group of 17 participants, some who regularly apply the products and others who do not.
Users were asked to forgo the products beginning on the second day, while those who typically abstain were instructed to slather them on towards the study period's end.
Upon examining daily underarm swabs, the researchers found notable variations in the microbial compositions of the groups.
Among the most significant was the percentage of bacteria belonging to the Staphylococcaceae variety.
Regular nonusers presented with roughly 20%, while those who had only recently stopped had over 60%.
Said Julie Horvath, one of the scientists, "Wearing a product does affect the microbes under your arm, but what those short and long-term consequences are, we don't really know yet."
More from AOL.com:
The 50 best hotels in the USA
New UGG boots will actually keep your feet dry
A neurologist has tried to pinpoint what bugs him about Ted Cruz's face
- Mom desperately tries to figure out how she got her baby to sleep t…
- It’s easier than it looks to make yourself this fancy affogato dessert
- This tiny device keeps mosquitoes away all summer, and it’s on sale fo…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Hilarious Kid Answers To Test Questions
- These Cake Messages Are Wrong In So Many Ways
- These Pregnancy Announcements Are Brilliantly Hilarious
- Calculate your new refi payment in minutes. See if you can save
- Lock in a 2.06% APR Refi Rate Before The Fed Meets
- A Simple Way to Pay Off Your House ASAP
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…