A doctor in Tennessee somehow performed surgery on the wrong infant.
In an exclusive interview, the parents told WTVF their son Nate was taken for a routine physical shortly after his birth at University Medical Center in Lebanon. But a couple hours later when the baby returned, a nurse started talking about a procedure they'd done.
SEE ALSO: Teacher's aide arrested after allegedly pinching 'exceptional education' student
"Essentially they took our child who was 100 percent healthy, nursing well, no issues at all, and took him out of the nursery and cut his mouth. At that point I began to cry hysterically," Nate's mother told WTVF.
The procedure performed is called a Frenulectomy, in which a portion of skin under the tongue is cut. It's used on infants whose tongues have a restricted range of motion, but Nate's was reportedly normal before the incident.
The doctor who performed the surgery admitted in a progress report to accidentally asking for the wrong infant.
"We don't know whether the child's going to have speech problems. We don't know if the child's going to have any eating problems. The concern here is this was a healthy baby that was supposed to leave the hospital healthy, and instead was harmed by the hospital," the family's attorney told WTVF.
The hospital wouldn't comment specifically on the incident because of federal privacy regulations.
More on AOL.com:
Family lives son's dream after losing him to cancer
Man sets himself on fire outside London palace of Prince William
Man accused of hurling alligator through Wendy's drive-thru window
- Latest mortgage news: Rates jump to their highest since March 2020
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Your Best Refinance Rates for January 2022
- Mortgage Payoff Tactic Eliminates 15 Years of Payments
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- LAKE’s pink and red pajamas will give you major heart eyes
- McDonald’s employee reveals the difference between the chain’s ‘round’…
- Disney parkgoer gives stranger ‘amazing’ gift after waiting in line fo…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!