A Detroit woman was out on a walk with her dog when she came across something unexpected.
"He just kept pulling me over that way. He kept sniffing. He kept sniffing. ... A human skull. Lo and behold, that's what I saw. That's what I saw," Betty Ballard told WXYZ.
SEE ALSO: Michigan environmental agency to present Flint water-testing plan
As WXYZ reports, the wooded area is located by a cemetery, but that doesn't exactly explain how the human skull got there.
Commenters on WXYZ's Facebook page were noticeably intrigued by the strange discovery.
Authorities have called in a forensic anthropologist to determine how old the skull is and, if possible, how it ended up there.
More on AOL.com:
Bedbugs are developing a strong resistance to most common insecticides
Bus driver who saved suicidal man last year killed in Dallas crash
Thieves are using fishing poles to try and steal mail out of mailboxes
The Latest from our Partners
- Refinance rates at 2.125% APR (15yr). Calculate your rate now
- A simple way to pay off your house ASAP
- Experts urge Americans to refinance in 2021
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- 4,800 Amazon shoppers swear by Bissell’s high-pressure surface clea…
- This sustainable skincare brand makes healthy products for you and the…
- DSW is offering up to 40 percent off on dozens of sneakers, with deals…
- Two Savings Accounts That Pay 10x What Your Bank Pays
- CD Rates Skyrocket
- What Most Americans Don't Realize About Car Insurance
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program