How to make chicken stock
I am not sure if there is anything better in these cold winter months than a good pot of Chicken Noodle Soup or any of it's chicken stock based cousins. I'm mean really... YUM!
It's like a bowl full of love right there.
The issue is that commercially prepared chicken stock is good, BUT... It's not GREAT.
If you're really wanting a good chicken stock based soup, stew or gravy. You need to make your own chicken stock.
The good news is... It's SUPER EASY!!
Here is what you'll need...
1 whole roasted chicken - meat removed
2 large yellow onions - cut off the top and bottom but leave the skin on
1 bunch of celery - wash and cut off top and bottom
4-5 carrots - wash and cut off top and bottom, don't bother to peel
2-3 stocks of fresh rosemary
small bunch of fresh thyme
5-6 sage leaves
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon whole pepper corns
1 tablespoon sea salt
- Place chicken carcass into large stock pot.
- Add celery, carrots, onions.
- Tie fresh herbs together and place into the pot.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the skin of the lemon and add to the pot. Be careful not to add the white pith part of the lemon.
- Add salt, pepper corns and garlic.
- Fill pot almost the the top with water and set on high heat just until the pot comes to a boil. Once it has started to boil, turn the heat to medium or medium low, what ever temperature that will keep a nice low simmer.
- Let simmer for 6-7 hours
- Check pot occasionally to see if you need to add more water.
- After it has simmered for several hours, remove from heat and strain your stock with a fine meshed strainer. Place in an air tight container and put in refrigerator for several hours.
- Once the stock has fully chilled, remove from refrigerator and using a spoon, remove the fat that has solidified onto the surface of the stock.
- Store in refrigerator for 2-3 days or in the freezer for 3-6 months.
See the full post here!
Watch the video to learn how to make chicken broth in a slow cooker
Read more from Whipperberry!
The secret to perfect hot chocolate
The most amazing chocolate oatmeal cake recipe
Stuffed mushrooms recipe