Actress Andie MacDowell learned a valuable lesson about the ugly side of social media. She was booted from first class on American Airlines, and she told the world about it.
It started with a message to the airline via Twitter. MacDowell said she paid for first class but was put in "tourist" class because of her dog Ava, whom she says she also paid for.
SEE ALSO: 2-time Oscar winner rips awards: 'They're not as important as everyone thinks they are'
Then, Twitter blew up.
Some people were mean. One person called her a crybaby ex-celeb who hadn't made anything of quality in 20 years. Another simply called out her first-world problems.
The Examiner said the actress was "crucified" over the ordeal.
Others welcomed the complaining, saying customers deserve what they pay for, and that Twitter "can bring out the worst in #people."
MacDowell said the airline employee who refused to seat her in first class was rude. She also defended her use of the term "tourist class."
The "Groundhog Day" actress did try to direct the attention away from her -- at one point asking to use the publicity to raise funds for literacy in South Carolina, where she was going to volunteer.
Eventually, she said she no longer cared, and just wouldn't be paying for first class on American Airlines again.
American Airlines did tweet back -- telling the actress to direct message the company.
MacDowell said she hopes the airline will donate any refund to charity.
More on AOL.com:
Steven Tyler crashes live CNN snow report, warns viewers to 'stay home' (Video)
Nick Cannon congratulates Mariah Carey and James Packer on their engagement
Danny DeVito comments on Oscars diversity controversy: 'We're a bunch of racists'
The Latest from our Partners
- Refinance rates at 2.125% APR (15yr). Calculate your rate now
- A simple way to pay off your house ASAP
- Experts urge Americans to refinance in 2021
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Over 6,500 Amazon shoppers rave about this stationary bike — and it…
- Thousands of Amazon shoppers love this $20 shoulder bag that’s the ‘Go…
- Cozy up outside with this top-rated fire pit that’s $110 off on Amazon
- An Insane card offering 0% interest until nearly 2021
- 7 outrageous credit cards if you have excellent credit
- Cards charging 0% interest until 2021
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…