"Are Smart People Less Racist?" This is the lead title of a recently published study which set out to determine if a higher intelligence does, indeed, correlate with a belief in greater racial equality.
For the research, the University of Toronto's Geoffrey T. Wodtke analyzed data from the General Social Survey which periodically measures Americans' attitudes towards various issues.
SEE ALSO: Man arrested for forcing girlfriend to walk naked down NYC sidewalk
He isolated the results from nearly 45,000 Caucasians who responded between 1972 and 2010 and had taken a verbal-intelligence vocabulary test.
What he found was that those who were considered smarter expressed fewer racist beliefs like having a negative view of black people or interracial marriage.
However, Wodtke writes, "Despite these liberalizing effects, high-ability whites are no more likely to support a variety of remedial policies for racial inequality."
For example, despite that group's theoretical opposition to neighborhood segregation, half would not vote for measures to prevent housing-related discrimination.
FAST Company notes, "...while 95% of the 'smarter' group say that black and white children should attend the same schools, only 22% support school busing programs."
Based on his findings, Wodtke concluded that smarter people "are simply more sophisticated racists."
More on AOL.com:
New study alleges that marijuana may not make people stupid after all
Why Obama refused to speak at daughter's graduation
Auschwitz paramedic set to stand trial in Germany in February
- Latest mortgage news: Rates jump to their highest since March 2020
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Your Best Refinance Rates for January 2022
- Mortgage Payoff Tactic Eliminates 15 Years of Payments
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- This top-rated therapy light used to treat seasonal depression is o…
- 10 affordable Anthropologie gold mirror dupes that are just as stunnin…
- This gorgeous Kate Spade purse is over $130 off at the most unlikely r…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!