Speedy creamy tomato soup
I do love a good tomato soup, especially during the colder months!
Back when I was really, really little (oh, the good old times!) and in kindergarten, we would cook together once a month.
My teacher would always send two students to the butcher next door to pick up sausages and a few packets of dried tomato soup mix.
The dried mix has disappeared from my repertoire now, but my love for a comforting bowl of tomato soup has stuck. This is by far my favorite recipe, I'm making it over and over again!
1 tbsp oil
1 large onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
3 14.5oz can crushed tomatoes
2 14oz can chicken broth
1 cup cream cheese or ricotta
Your favorite toppings: croutons, fresh basil, parmesan, grilled cheese...
1) Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven.
2) Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Sprinkle in the dried herbs and continue cooking for a minute.
3) Take the pot off the heat and allow it to cool down for a minute. Very carefully stir in the crushed tomatoes and chicken broth.
4) Bring the soup to a boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes.
5) Blend the cream cheese or ricotta with a ladle or two of the soup, using an immersion blender. You can skip this step and simply store the cheese into the soup, but it will take a bit longer to melt in.
5) Stir the cheese into the soup and serve immediately with your favorite toppings.
Read some tips to making this soup here!
See more from Savory Nothings:
Crispy oven fried chicken
33 chili recipes for a cozy winter night
Slow cooker chicken stew
Another Creamy soup recipe from the Lifestyle Collective's own, Billy Parisi: