As we reach the end of the first week of 2016, take some time to look back at the biggest stories from the past seven days.
This week, we saw the escalation of the standoff situation at Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in Oregon, as well as the effects of El Nino on typically-dry California, and various New Year's Day celebrations from around the world. Click through the slideshow above to see photos from all of these stories and more, and be sure to check back next weekend to see our selection of the best photos from the next seven days.
More on AOL.com:
Californians finally see sun after series of El Nino storms
Officials ready to drop manatee from U.S. endangered species list
Stunning images from the world's coolest ice and snow festival
- Latest mortgage news: Rates close in on 6%
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
- Best Refinance Rates for Summer
- Are You A Homeowner? Turn Your Skyrocketing Equity Into Cash
- Grab these Sur La Table 4th of July deals before they’re gone — pri…
- Celebrate the 4th of July with these bold red, white and blue snack bo…
- Make your Pride party extra colorful this year with these themed cockt…
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!