As we reach the end of the first week of 2016, take some time to look back at the biggest stories from the past seven days.
This week, we saw the escalation of the standoff situation at Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in Oregon, as well as the effects of El Nino on typically-dry California, and various New Year's Day celebrations from around the world. Click through the slideshow above to see photos from all of these stories and more, and be sure to check back next weekend to see our selection of the best photos from the next seven days.
More on AOL.com:
Californians finally see sun after series of El Nino storms
Officials ready to drop manatee from U.S. endangered species list
Stunning images from the world's coolest ice and snow festival
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 2.06% APR.
- You've got thousands of reasons to refinance ($$$)
- Mortgage payoff tactic eliminates 15 years of payments
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!