A restaurant in Independence, Missouri, is getting some negative attention after a customer complained about a controversial plaque on the bar.
The 54th Street Grill's sign reads: "Warning! Female trespassers will be violated."
"Could you imagine a kid sitting there reading that — even somebody who's a rape victim?" said Ashley Smith, a customer.
Customer Ashley Smith posted a picture of the plaque to the chain's Facebook page and said the restaurant told her in a private message that the decoration was "an old tongue-in-cheek joke from the 90s."
But the fact that the restaurant was decorated in the '90s didn't make the joke any better for Smith, and she told KSHB it still exemplifies rape culture.
The restaurant has since issued a public statement saying: "The artifacts inside the bar were installed over 20 years ago by a third party company. ... We value the opinions of our guests and can understand why the plaque is offensive."
54th Street Grill told KSHB it plans to cover up the plaque with a different one.
More from AOL.com:
Powerball jackpot up to $334 million for Saturday drawing
Mother's purse stolen as she visits son's grave
Eating more dark chocolate might help you avoid pancreatic cancer
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 2.06% APR.
- You've got thousands of reasons to refinance ($$$)
- Mortgage payoff tactic eliminates 15 years of payments
- 6 DIY condiment recipes that are healthier than store-bought
- Step up your kitchen game with these three blender hacks
- ‘I bought it in 3 colors’: Over 800 Nordstrom shoppers want this perfe…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!