Overall, the amount of electricity used to power Christmas lights in the U.S. each year is pretty minimal; Just 6.6 billion kilowatt hours — or 0.2 percent — of our yearly electricity consumption.
But that's more than a lot of countries use in an entire year.
For instance, El Salvador only uses 5.7 billion kilowatt hours a year, Honduras uses 5.1 billion, Cambodia uses 3.6 billion — and Nepal uses even less at 3.3 billion.
RELATED: Check out this year's White House Christmas decorations
The Center for Global Development recently released a report on the world's electricity consumption. NPR spoke with one of the report's authors, Todd Moss, who said he's not trying to ruin Christmas by bringing up the disparity. Instead, he says he wants to draw attention to the fact that poorer countries are under a lot of pressure to use renewable energy, but their current needs outstrip what renewable energy can provide.
Moss told NPR: "It's pretty rich for me to sit in Washington, D.C., and tell Ghana they can't build one natural gas power plant. ... A country can't become wealthy or even middle class without consuming a lot more energy."
The World Bank Group backs up the idea that energy equals power. The organization's data shows that every country with an income per capita above $10,000 uses at least 3,880 kilowatt hours per person every year.
More on AOL:
The biggest food trends of 2015
Girl with cystic fibrosis gets a dream vacation
Scientists say people with these facial features may get paid more
This video includes images from Getty Images, Ambuj Saxena / CC BY 2.0 , and Antonio Castagna / CC BY 2.0
The Latest from our Partners
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Refinance rates at 2.125% APR (15yr). Calculate your rate now
- A simple way to pay off your house ASAP
- Experts urge Americans to refinance in 2021
- The Men’s Edit: 7 sleek statement watches that won’t break the bank
- Snag these 7 best sellers for under $50 during Madewell’s huge Secret …
- Here’s where to buy Gigi Hadid’s luxe silk face mask
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Two Savings Accounts That Pay 10x What Your Bank Pays
- CD Rates Skyrocket
- What Most Americans Don't Realize About Car Insurance