Family warns pet owners after beloved dog dies from eating a Christmas decoration
The pawprint ornament, created by her daughter Alice, was made of salt dough, a baking material that often contains a salt content that can be fatal to both cats and dogs, according to the Pet Poison Hotline.
SEE ALSO: 57 dogs found poisoned and shot to death in mass grave
According to the post, two-year-old Lexi ate the ornament after sneaking downstairs Tuesday morning. After noticing the pup's naughty behavior, they put her in her kennel for a short while, and left the dog home alone later that day.
Everything seemed to be fine, however, when they returned a few hours later Lexi had peed in her cage and was shaking uncontrollably. "She couldn't even make it back up the stairs, as she fell backwards. We immediately took her to the Vets & we had only 2 options because her body temp was 107 and already caused neurological damage," the post goes on to explain.
"We could either take her to a vet and possibly, if she even made it that far, save her but be a completely different dog or put her to sleep." With heavy hearts, the family made the difficult decision to put their beloved dog to sleep.
"So please, if you make these ornaments, watch your animals around them," the posts ends. "This is not something we ever thought we would have to do to our 2.5 year old dog. Rest in Peace sweet Lexi girl. We miss you so much."
WATCH: Expert shares holiday safety tips for your pets:
More animal news:
Live goat meant to be Siberian tiger's lunch is now his best friend
Watch this orangutan positively lose his mind over a simple magic trick
Santa Claus will be delivering puppies to people's houses on Christmas