UFC Strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk sat down with AOL Sports to talk about her record-breaking win at UFC 193 in Melbourne, Australia a couple weeks ago. Positioned as the next Ronda Rousey, UFC 193 was a paramount moment for her.
Jedrzejczyk (11-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) recently underwent surgery for her second hand injury this year as well.
Q: First off, congrats on all the excitement from the last few weeks. How's recovery going?
A: Today I had an appointment with the doctor, but I feel great. So the cast will come off and I will be free (laughs).
Q: How long are you out for exactly?
A: I'd say it'll be 10 weeks before contact. They gotta take the stitches out and then I'll start right after.
Q: Did you know you broke the bone when it happened?
A: I did it in the fourth or fifth round. I don't remember, but, yes, I could feel it at the time. But I couldn't give up. My joint was just dislocated. That's all.
Q: Did you watch the Rousey/Holm fight afterwards?
A: Ugh, no. They took me to the doctor after. I didn't have the chance to watch it. It was so quick, it just happened, and I couldn't believe it. I'm a big fan of her. I feel sorry for her and her team.
Q: Do you think it's good for the sport that she lost? Or do you think the sport needed to see an untouchable icon remain undefeated?
A: There's so many emotions. You can't just comment only on this fight. She's done so much for this sport. She's the greatest. Holly was better at that time and Ronda is going to be champion again. It's a sport. So congrats to Holly, but I think Ronda will be back.
Q: Will you next fight be in six months or so?
A: Yeah, probably. I need to relax, take it easy and then be ready for another fight.
Q: What do you do to relax?
A: Now I have time to enjoy a regular person's ife. I get to eat ice cream and doughnuts (laughs). My ambitions are high, so I like to work, but I do enjoy reading books, checking out other stuff and being more human (laughs).
MORE ON AOL SPORTS
Serena Williams wins SI's Sportsperson of the Year
Ranking the top male athletes of 2015
Exclusive: Brandi Chastain talks about Wambach, USWNT's future
- Can You Refinance With $0 Out of Pocket?
- Need Cash? Take Money Out of Your Home
- Smart Ways To Pay for a Home Renovation
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- These bike shorts are so comfortable, I want to wear them every sin…
- The Ostrich Chair may seem a little ridiculous, but TikTok is obsessed…
- 6 Nike sneakers to add to your closet for $100 or less
- Latest mortgage news: Rates retreat amid recession fears
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!