6 tips for surviving the holiday season
It's holiday party season – which wreaks havoc on my diet and routine due to overeating, drinking, and lack of sleep. I thought I'd share some of my tips for making sure those holiday parties don't disrupt my life too badly.
1. Eat before the party. I'm less likely to sample every passed hors d'oeuvre if I arrive at a party on a full stomach. I like to eat something light and healthy before I go. (This also helps with staying sober, as it's never a good idea to drink on an empty stomach!)
2. Drink water. This is common sense, but I try to sandwich every alcoholic drink with a glass of water. This not only keeps me from making a fool of myself at an office party, but staying hydrated is key to feeling like a human the next day. I suffer from migraines and alcohol is a huge trigger for me, so it's doubly important for me to adhere to this one.
3. Don't go to the afterparty. Why is it that after the party, it's always the afterparty? There's always a group of rowdy merrymakers that want to keep the night going after a party. After a few cocktails, this usually sounds like a great idea. It isn't. Not only does the after partying lead to a few extra drinks, it usually leads to late night binge-eating and getting to bed way later than normal.
4. Skip the sugary drinks. Holiday-themed punches and cocktails always seem festive, but I stay away from them for two reasons. The first is that any kind of sugary cocktail is a headache waiting to happen. Secondly, these drinks are usually huge calorie bombs that wreak havoc on a diet.
5. If you don't love it, don't eat it. It's hard for me to say no to passed apps, just for something to do at a party. But if you don't love it, just don't eat it – it's that simple.
6. Wear something you feel great in. If I am feeling my best, I typically won't overeat because I don't want to ruin all of the hard work it took to look amazing in whatever dress, skirt, or pants I'm showing off.
See more from The Hip Suburban
Tips for working at home
Holiday party dresses