(Reuters) - President Barack Obama has asked the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the State Department to review the K-1 fiance visa program that was used by a couple responsible for a mass shooting in California last week, a White House official said on Sunday.
In a televised address, Obama said he had ordered a review of the "visa waiver program" used by Tashfeen Malik to enter the United States. But a White House official confirmed Obama misspoke, meaning to say "visa program."
READ MORE: Obama: Terror threat against US has entered 'new phase'
The U.S. government separately is making a series of changes to its visa waiver program to screen travelers more closely from 38 countries who can enter the United States without visas.
The K-1 visa program permits foreign citizens to travel to the United States to marry American citizens.
(Reporting by Roberta Rampton and Jeff Mason; Editing by Peter Cooney)
More on AOL.com:
Americans stock up on weapons after California shooting
FBI looking at mother of San Bernardino gunman
Tashfeen Malik, mom in California rampage, became very devout