Makeup application is not always an easy task. Add winter weather to the mix -- which comes with its own particular set of problems (think chapped lips, splotches and dry skin) -- and you've got a true beauty challenge.
We turned to makeup guru Sir John, Beyoncé's go-to guy, to school us on saving face in the harsh winter months. Keep reading to find out the products, tools and methods he swears by for gorgeous winter makeup.
FOR A PERFECT POUT
Kiss Dry Lips Good-Bye
Sir John's remedy for chapped lips is to care for your dry pout the way you care for the delicate skin around your eyes -- with eye cream. His prescription: "Apply a few dabs of nourishing eye cream on your lips, then layer with lip balm to lock in the moisture."
Give Matte Makeup a Go
One might think that matte lipsticks or long-wear lipsticks are a no-go for winter (they both can have a drying effect), but Sir John says go for it. "Matte formulas create a compelling visual against luminous skin," he says, "but you have to be more responsible. Regularly scrubbing your lips with brown sugar and honey creates a healthy base for your lip color."
FOR A FLAWLESS COMPLEXION
Moisturizer Is a Must
Patchy skin is one of the most common winter skin problems. But, according to Sir John, it's not the worst problem to have: "Unlike acne-prone or highly sensitive skin, dry skin can be exfoliated and doused with moisturizers to maximize luminosity before adding foundation or concealer." He adds, "If skin is properly moisturized, you can play with so many more products."
Perfect Your Technique With the Right Tools
Sir John's obsession of late is Artis brushes -- specifically number 8 and number 9. He recommends using liquid foundation, as it goes with the chemistry of our bodies better and doesn't look so much like makeup, and applying it in a circular motion for a flawless, airbrush-quality finish.
Go for That Rosy "I Just Walked in From the Cold" Glow
Start with cream blush to anchor your cheek color, and then set it with powder blush. As for where you should apply it? Sir John says to find your sweet spot: "Make a big, cheesy smile with your mouth closed, then deliver the color to wherever you see the most volume in your cheeks."
FOR SHOWSTOPPING EYE SHADOW
Start with a base of eyeliner in the same color that you're planning to use as shadow. This will not only help fill in some fine lines, but, according to Sir John, eyeliner also acts similar to lip liner to help your shadow hold -- especially shimmery shadow layered over shimmery liner.
More beauty inspiration:
6 beauty secrets from the ultimate celebrity glam squad
Watch: 4 awesome holiday makeup hacks
How to find the perfect red lip for your skin tone
Plus, click through below for the ultimate beauty guide for holiday parties:
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tradi…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- How to Turn Your Home Equity into Cash. Calculate Now.
- Crush Your Mortgage With This Government Program
- $300K Refi in this Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- Notice: cars driven less than 25 miles could pay less
- Seniors, get car insurance from $39 per month
- Qualified zip codes save big on insurance
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- This baby’s reaction to bath time gets cuter and cuter
- Those viral ‘peel and reveal’ lip stains are on sale today on Amazon
- ‘Now that our kid isn’t a baby anymore, my wife and I can’t agree on b…
- 0% APR Card Offer Now Lasts Until 2023
- Want To Travel Practically Free? Get This Card Now
- Your Best Credit Card Offers for October 2021