BY LESLEY HAULER
A newborn baby in Lexington, Kentucky is in the hospital after police say his mother drugged him to stop him from crying.
Chasity Lewis, 29, gave her 5-day-old son a drug called Suboxone because he was upset, according to the Montgomery County Sheriff.
SEE ALSO: 8-year-old girl diagnosed with rare form of breast cancer
The narcotic is used to treat chronic pain as well as Opioid addiction.
%shareLinks-quote="She took it in a pill form and crushed it up to a powder form and put it on a pacifier and gave it to her child." type="quote" author="Fred Shortridge" authordesc="Montgomery County Sheriff" isquoteoftheday="false"%
Now, the baby being treated at the NICU unit at UK Hospital and the mother is in jail.
Although he is expected to survive, LEX 18 reports that the Lewis only took the baby to the hospital after her mother pointed out that the boy had been asleep for nearly 14 hours.
The 29-year-old also has five other children that are currently in the custody of their grandmother.
Lewis is currently charged with first degree criminal abuse.
Watch below to learn how suboxone affects the brain:
- Latest mortgage news: 30-year rate hits pause — but still near 13-y…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Can You Refinance With $0 Out of Pocket?
- Need Cash? Take Money Out of Your Home
- Smart Ways To Pay for a Home Renovation
- Brighten up your day with these refreshing iced tea recipes
- ‘Unforgettable’ footage of mother-son dance goes viral across social m…
- These are the 12 absolute best Memorial Day deals you don’t want to mi…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!