5 tips for a healthier holiday season
The holidays are here, which means it's the most delicious season out of the whole year! And even though everyone probably deserves a Christmas cookie, it can be really easy to completely lose yourself at the dessert table this time of year. So here's how to stay on the right track.
1. Everything starts with breakfast, and since hunger is the No. 1 reason for overindulgence, keep it at bay with a healthy, hearty breakfast that's packed with protein to keep you full.
2. Along those same lines, you have to plan ahead! So keep healthy snacks in your purse and in your car. Or maybe make a green smoothie to take with you to work in the morning. Whatever it is, make healthy decisions ahead of time, to avoid making poor choices later.
3. Be sure to stay hydrated! All of that sodium and holiday booze will definitely dehydrate you, and your body can interpret thirst as hunger -- so put a stop to that by drinking lots of water. This means one glass every hour.
4. Keep your activity levels high too. If you can't work out in the morning, do things like plan fun group activities outside, or help around the house. Anything to keep your heart rate and energy up during the day is great.
5. And lastly, it's okay to indulge, but do so selectively. Instead of sitting down with the whole tub of cheese and caramel corn, put some in a bowl and walk away from the container. Everything in moderation!
Here's to having a holiday season worth remembering, but not regretting.
More from AOL.com:
10 ways to use up mushy bananas (that aren't banana bread)
The trick to easily peel hard-boiled eggs
9 holiday gift ideas with a personal touch
Check out these healthy snacks: