If there were any nonbelievers before, this Sunday surely drowned them out. The Carolina Panthers are 10-0, and they only seem to be getting stronger as the season rolls along.
In a career-high performance, Cam Newton threw for five touchdowns without throwing a pick, completing 21 of his 34 passes for 246 yards. He danced some more, and delivered some more footballs to young fans.
Rookie Devin Funchess led Carolina receivers with 64 yards and a score, while Jonathan Stewart ran for 102 yards on 21 carried and caught a touchdown. The Panthers blew it open with a 17-point second quarter after ending the first 15 minutes in a 14-14 draw.
Carolina's stout defense held true, holding Washington to just 14 rushing yards on 12 carries. Kirk Cousins completed 22 of his 30 pass attempts, but for just one touchdown and one interception.
Newton and the Panthers will face a short week, playing on Thanksgiving Day against the Dallas Cowboys as Tony Romo tries to will them back into playoff contention. Aside from a tilt with the New York Giants on Dec. 20, only divisional matchups will remain on the schedule for Carolina after the holiday -- with Atlanta being the most formidable of those squads, at 6-4 and on a three-game losing skid.
Panthers 44, Redskins 16
More from AOL.com:
FIFA President Blatter says he was near death in hospital
Kyle Busch wins the 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Championship
Cardinals vs Bengals, 34-31: Full highlights, final score and more
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 2.06% APR.
- You've got thousands of reasons to refinance ($$$)
- Mortgage payoff tactic eliminates 15 years of payments
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Even your toddler will love this gluten-free, fruit-filled smash ca…
- 6 DIY condiment recipes that are healthier than store-bought
- Step up your kitchen game with these three blender hacks
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!