Man in coma after E-cigarette explodes in face





A Florida man's life is hanging in the balance after an electronic cigarette exploded on him.

21-year old Evan Spahlinger was placed in a medically induced coma after the blast at his house on Monday in Naples, Florida, according to WINK News.

His sister, Ema Richardson, was in the house with her 2-year-old son at the time of the incident when she heard the explosion and began smelling smoke.

Richardson investigated the source of the explosion and found Spahlinger covered in soot on the floor of his bedroom.

SEE ALSO: An e-cigarette left this man in the hospital on a ventilator

%shareLinks-quote="I found my brother not breathing, with his whole face burned and his neck burned and trying to throw up a little or maybe he was gasping for air, so I called 911." type="quote" author="Ema Richardson" authordesc="Sister" isquoteoftheday="false"%

Authorities rushed Spahlinger to a local hospital before airlifting the 21-year-old to Miami for treatment, where he was placed in a medically induced coma. Richardson told WINK News that the coma is so her brother is not in pain.




%shareLinks-quote="They said he has internal and external burns and damage to his lungs from the explosion itself. And possibly the mouth piece went, when the cigarette exploded, it went down his throat and exploded again." type="quote" author="Ema Richardson" authordesc="Sister" isquoteoftheday="false"%

North Collier Fire & Rescue told WINK that e-cigarette's lithium battery is likely the source of the explosion.

Richardson said her brother couldn't speak much after the accident, but what he did say spoke volumes.

%shareLinks-quote="He said, 'I'm done, that's it.' That's the only thing he said. Luckily I was here, it was the most traumatic experience I think of my life." type="quote" author="Ema Richardson" authordesc="Sister" isquoteoftheday="false"%







Richardson hopes Spahlinger's story teaches others a lesson.

"We want people to know the risk and dangers. Had Evan of known, maybe he wouldn't have chosen to smoke the electronic cigarette," she told WINK News.

This is not the first time an electronic cigarette has had devastating consequences. A woman in California was awarded nearly $2 million after an e-cig explosion left her with serious burns. Another man in the United Kingdom was left on a ventilator after a similar blast by the vaping device.

Watch this other man talk about how smoking e-cigarettes nearly killed him:

Man Says E-Cigarette Explosion Nearly Killed Him
Man Says E-Cigarette Explosion Nearly Killed Him



More from AOL.com:
Confederate-themed college bar sparks outrage over 'racist' drink
Injured deer wanders into New York hospital emergency room
Paralyzed dog's bucket list helps him make the most of his final months