We get it ladies, there's nothing quite as soothing or satisfying as getting a manicure after a long day at work. Sure, relaxing in bed is all well and good, but there's just something about getting your nails done that puts you in relaxation mode like nothing else. But with so many ways to get our nails done, it's often difficult to choose. Most women often opt for the traditional acrylic.
And just in case you've been living under a rock over the years, acrylics are fake nails placed on your real nails, either painted a color of your choosing or covered in "fillings" -- a white or clear powder substance. Ladies, we can all probably agree that whether or not we get acrylics frequently, they sure do look gorgeous on our nails. But as you've probably heard once or twice before, they're not necessarily the most sanitary beauty indulgence.
SEE ALSO: 5 hidden dangers at the hair salon
The truth is, they can be seriously damaging to your health. Take a look below at the hidden dangers of getting acrylics and be aware the next time you head to the salon for that filling!
1. The hard-to-clean area underneath your nail may cause your nails to be extra sensitive, especially if an MMA-based acrylic (Methyl Methacrylate) is used. Though they've been banned for use on nails because of toxicity, some low-end nail salons still it.
2. Acrylics may create inflamed or itchy cuticles if the tools used to apply them are worn out or coarse. Be mindful of those which have sharp odors -- this is a sign that something is off.
3. Depending on your nail strength, acrylics may cause a splitting or painful nail plate. Pay close attention to how strong and think your nails are. Extremely thin nails may not be the best for acrylics.
4. It might be hard to spot, but infection below the nail bed can become all too real. This also goes back to overused, worn out nail tools.
5. Pay attention to your nail growth over time. Acrylics often weaken nails, making them prone to breakage.
Click through below for the best polish colors for fall:
More from AOL.com:
Products We Love
The Latest from our Partners
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Two Savings Accounts That Pay 10x What Your Bank Pays
- CD Rates Skyrocket
- What Most Americans Don't Realize About Car Insurance
- Mortgage rates drop once again, remaining below 3%
- Refi with no hidden fees/points - as low as 2.125% APR (15yr)
- Do this before your next mortgage payment (it's genius)
- Notice: cars driven less than 25 miles could pay less
- Seniors, get car insurance from $39 per month
- Qualified zip codes save big on insurance
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- Ready to Withdraw from Your Retirement Accounts? Do it in This Order
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Oily skin babes love this hyaluronic moisturizer that’s under $20 o…
- This best-selling $14 eye cream on Amazon ‘is the one you will never w…
- Hurry! All Saints is offering 70 percent off on dozens of styles for a…
- Spend $500, get $200 fast with this top card
- 4 cards charging 0% interest until 2022
- Experts say these are the best cards for 2021