Christmas came early this year for one Alaska town.
A man with the legal name "Santa Claus" just won a seat on the city council in North Pole, Alaska.
According to the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner, Claus was a write-in candidate after he launched a campaign for an open City Council seat.
The write-in campaign was launched two weeks before the Oct. 6 election.
Claus got citizens of the North Pole into the voting spirit by taking to the streets dressed in a red velvet suit and a sign that read, "Where the spirit of Christmas lives year round."
%shareLinks-quote="The campaign was a success, with Claus receiving 58 write-in votes from the small 2,200 person town." type="spreadWord"%
The Fairbanks Daily News-Miner reports that the news of St. Nick's win was celebrated with a laugh throughout the town.
One person said, "I'm sure glad Santa won."
Born legally Thomas Patrick O'Connor, Claus is the former president of the North Pole Chamber of Commerce.
He will fill one of the two seats open in the election. The other was won by Elyse Dawson, a youth pastor at a local church.
See more photos from North Pole, Alaska:
- Latest mortgage news: Rates inch down again, stay below 7%
- Latest HELOC news: Rates flirt with 8%
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Borrow From Your Home, Not The Bank ($25k for $168/month)
- Need Cash For The Holidays? How To Unlock Your Home's Equity
- $50k HE Loan in this Economy? 5.49% APR ($284/mo)
- Server says she was accused of ruining a woman’s pregnancy announce…
- 9 fun gifts for your boyfriend under $100 that are not just leather wa…
- Mom-to-be is ‘horrified’ when mother-in-law gets her own private baby …
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!