Amazingly interesting health benefits of banana peels that will blow you away
If you love bananas as much as we do, then we're about to make your day! While you're probably used to using bananas in your smoothies, or eating them on a fruit plate -- we bet you didn't know that aside from the actual banana itself, there is another part that is considered edible. Wondering what we mean? Believe it or not, the peel of a banana can definitely be eaten -- and not only that, but it has awesome health benefits as well.
We realize it may seem a little strange to eat such a rough, thick part of a banana, but there are actually plenty of ways you can eat the peel. From frying and baking, to blending and boiling -- it can be quite tasty. But as previously mentioned, the health benefits are out of this world! SO out of this world in fact, that they just may intrigue you to eat more peels than bananas themselves. Here are some of the best benefits they offer.
The flesh of a traditional banana contains:
- 12% of your daily fiber, helping with digestion and lowering your risk of diabetes
- 17% of your vitamin C, assisting with your immune system, growth and development
- 20% of your vitamin B6, aiding in your body's ability to convert food into energy
- 12% of your potassium, helping in the development of cells, tissues, and various organs
- 8% of your magnesium, helping your body's energy and regulating blood pressure levels
So, before you toss that seemingly useless banana peel in the trash, think again and toss it into a smoothie instead. Your body will thank you for it later!
Click through below for awesome ways to use mushy bananas:
More from AOL.com:
Do October right and travel to these fun, affordable locations
The most awesomely terrifying Halloween festivals to check out in October
These are the most amazing and unbelievable health benefits of pumpkin seeds