5 home maintenance must-dos to prep for the cold
Before you check out for winter, there are a few maintenance chores you'll want to check off to protect you and your home. Check out
1. Outside, clean out gutters and remove all those falling leaves. If gutters need to be replaced, it may be a good idea to get it done as soon as possible to avoid problems during snow fall months.
SEE ALSO: 6 laundry hacks for drying your clothes
2. Inside, replace batteries in each smoke and carbon monoxide detector in the home. If older detectors are still intact, be sure to clean them out and make sure there are no issues -- or corrosion.
3. As we start to pump up the heat, air can get dry and cause sinus problems and dry skin. Clean out your humidifier. (If you don't have one, it may be a good time to find one.)
4. Avoid higher heating bills by checking for air leaks around windows, and door frames. If you notice a leak, caulk to prevent heat from escaping!
5. Clean up. Get rid of things you don't need and keep a clear space around heaters, furnaces and fireplaces.
Tackle these maintenance must-dos to get a jump on the season!
More from AOL.com:
What your face shape says about you
Why blotting your pizza with a napkin is totally worth it
11 things you should never put in the freezer