Russia exhumes bones of murdered Czar Nicholas II and his wife
The remains of Russia's last imperial family may soon be reunited, but there are skeptics who have to be satisfied first.
On Wednesday, Russian investigators reportedly exhumed the body of Czar Nicholas Romanov II and his wife Alexandra. It's part of an investigation into the family's death in 1918 and into confirming the remains really belong to the czar and his wife.
Ever since some of the family's remains were tested in the early '90s, scientists have been pretty confident that it's really them. But they haven't been able to convince the Russian Orthodox Church.
See photos of the Czar and his wife:
Church officials haven't come out with their exact reasons for doubt. There's been some discussion on the fact that the Romanov family has been canonized, making the remains holy relics, so that could play a role. But in general church leaders say they just aren't convinced, and their approval is important for bringing the family's remains together.
The remains that were excavated in the '90s are said to have included the czar, his wife, three of their children and several servants. Two of their children, Alexei and Maria, were unaccounted for.
The church somewhat reluctantly allowed the family's remains to be interred in the Peter and Paul Cathedral in St. Petersburg. Most of Russia's other czars are also buried there. But the church still hasn't officially accepted the family's identities, even after several rounds of DNA testing.
Then, another burial site was found in 2007 containing the remains of a young man and a young woman. More DNA testing confirmed they belonged to Alexei and Maria.
But those remains are reportedly sitting on a shelf, because the Russian Orthodox church has balked at the idea of adding them to the family tomb.
The church says it believes the family's remains were destroyed completely, and won't change its position until it's 100 percent sure.
U.S. armed forces geneticist Michael Coble, who worked on identifying the 2007 remains, wrote a thorough chronicle of all the testing that's been done so far, dismissing some other scientists' "feeble attempts to discredit these studies with contaminated data" and concluding, "It is now time to put this controversy to rest."
That was four years ago, and the controversy is still going. There was a plan to bury Alexei and Maria's remains in the Romanov tomb in October, but the church insists it be allowed to supervise the latest round of testing before it gives its approval.
More from AOL.com:
Horrific stampede at hajj in Saudi Arabia kills 717 pilgrims
For 1st time, New York City schools close for Muslim holiday
A look at sites Pope Francis will visit in NYC, Philadelphia