City Guide: Los Angeles
By: West Coast Capri
Compensation for this post was provided by Discover Card via AOL Media. The Opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions ofDiscover Card or AOL.
Traveling is one of our favorite things to do together, but sometimes it's not always possible to get away and with two kids in tow. So luckily we live in a pretty great place to get out and explore because there is so much to do in LA and so many different areas to explore. I feel like we could never do it all. We love playing tourists in our own city and finding new favorite spots or checking something off our LA bucket list, so we have experienced a lot in our time living here.
So to help you plan your next trip to sunny southern California and see everything that LA has to offer, we have put together a guide of our favorites that we think are must-do/see for any tourist visiting the city and wants to get the most for their money. All the food spots are budget-friendly so that you can do more while on vacation and see it all.
One place we always take visitors here is The Grove because it really is one of our favorite spots and has so much to offer. It's close to Hollywood if people want to see the famous Hollywood Walk of Fame and Kodak Theater or you can go to the LACMA next store and be cultured in modern art. The Grove is one of the most beautiful outdoor shopping areas I've been to with a water feature in the middle and grass to relax on with blankets provided, a charming trolley that takes you around, music playing, and so many of our favorite stores to shop and places to eat. I love to visit J.Crew, Anthropologie, Madewell, and Zara and my husband loves the J.Crew Mens shop and Nordstrom among everything else. You need to try the truffle burger at Umami Burger and be sure to get the sweet potato fries, but save room for a cupcake at Sprinkles or ice cream from Bennett's for dessert. And if you have a little girl, the American Girl Doll store is what their dreams are made of. I know our little Capri just begs to go into the "doll store" and we can't seem to get her out of there once we are in. The holidays are always magical at The Grove as well so be sure to visit if you come then. Hope this helps you plan your next trip or if you're a local and just want to get out and discover more of your city.
Guide to LA:
- THE GROVE [shopping, movie theaters, great restaurants, holiday celebrations]
- LACMA [modern museum with some free exhibits and concerts in summertime]
- THIRD STREET FOR JOANN'S, SHOP EGGY, MAGNOLIA BAKERY, SWEET GREENS, & MENDICINO FARMS
- SPRINKLES CUPCAKES [best cupcakes ever and there is a cupcake ATM in Beverly Hills]
- UMAMI BURGER
- LA ZOO
- GRIFFITH PARK FOR PONY RIDE, TRAIN RIDE, & TRAVEL TOWN MUSEUM
- GRIFFITH OBSERVATORY AND HIKE TO HOLLYWOOD SIGN [iconic views of the entire city]
- HOLLYWOOD BOWL FOR CONCERT [outdoor concert venue with gorgeous views. fun to bring a picnic]
- DODGERS BASEBALL GAME
- DOWNTOWN LA FOR GRAND CENTRAL MARKET, BOTTEGA LOUIE, OLVERA STREET, FLOWER MARKET, & WALT DISNEY CONCERT HALL
- CHINATOWN [eat at YangChow for the most amazing chinese food]
- SANTA MONICA PIER & THIRD STREET PROMENADE [popular beach spot with muscle beach and the boardwalk. Eat at THE ALBRIGHT on the pier and ride some carnival rides. Lots of shopping on third street. If you have kids take them to TONGVA PARK close by that is amazing.]
- DIDDY REISE [delicious ice cream cookie sandwiches in the college town of west hollywood and at $1.50 they are the best deal in LA]
- BRIAN'S SHAVE ICE [my favorite shaved ice in LA with delicious ice cream on the bottom and cream on top. they also have acai bowls]
- TITO'S TACOS [a local favorite spot that always has a big line. My favorite quick mexican food that is cheap. Bring cash and get the meat burrito with beans and cheese - and don't forget the guacamole]
- BRENTWOOD COUNTRY MART [cutest boutique shops and delicious homemade ice cream at SWEETROSE CREAMERY]
- MALIBU FOR SURFING AT ZUMA BEACH, EL MATADOR BEACH, & FARM HOUSE RESTAURANT[beautiful beaches in Malibu with the best restaurant on the pier]
- LOS LIONES CANYON FOR HIKING [views overlooking the coastline and beautiful homes on the hill]
- THE GETTY AND GETTY VILLA
- VENICE FOR ABBOTT KINNEY AND VENICE CANALS [great little spots to eat and boutique shopping on the most hip street of Abbott Kinney and stroll the picturesque neighborhood on the canals]