Video of 16-year-old's confrontation with police goes viral
STOCKTON, CA (FOX40) -- A video was taken earlier this week at the Downtown Transit Center in Stockton showing a police officer interaction with a juvenile that some are calling an excessive use of force.
Police said a 16-year-old boy was walking in the bus lane when an officer asked him to move.
Police say the boy refused to move, cussed at the officer and tried to remove the officer's baton. In the scuffle, he knocked the body camera off the officer. That's when officers came in to restrain him -- nine in all.
Click through to see more images from this story:
Police have a message for the community in situations like this.
"But the message that I want to get out to everyone is that, if people would just comply with the lawful orders from a police officer and definitely try not to grab or take any of our weapons, force would never have to be used," said Joe Silva with the Stockton Police Department.
Silva says now that there has been a complaint, there will be further review of the officers' actions, which were deemed appropriate in their initial review.
NAACP President Bobby Bivens told FOX40 he recommended the family file a complaint against the Stockton Police Department and it was filed Thursday afternoon.
Bivens said the boy is shaken up emotionally and physically and hasn't been able to go back to school.
Bivens also issued the following statement:
"Their behavior was uncalled for and excessive. It was just excessive force. And that's the thing that we're seeing all over the country. We've been working with the Stockton police to help them do a better job of community policing. We had an event with them to try to build good community relations and good feelings toward officers by members of the black community. "
The boy was cited and released to his mother.
You can watch the full video, here. Warning: video contains strong language.