Teen dies after parents allegedly force him to drink to show him the hazards of alcohol
A 16-year-old Wyoming boy has died after his parents allegedly forced him to drink an abundance of alcohol shots in an effort to "teach him a lesson about drinking."
Kendal Ball died of alcohol poisoning after his parents, Paulette Richardson and Joseph Richardson, forced him to drink several Fireball and Jack Daniels Whiskey shots over the course of two hours. The teen allegedly wanted to start drinking, so his parents wanted to show him the hazards of alcohol. Ball's biological father was an alcoholic.
After Ball took the shots, his parents helped him get into bed as he was highly intoxicated. When they went back to check on him a few hours later, they found him blue and unconscious. After being rushed to the hospital, Ball had a blood alcohol level of .587, roughly seven times the legal limit of .08.
Paulette and Joseph now face up to 20 years in prison if they are convicted. Uinta County Attorney Loretta Gerrard said:
"I am not here to make parenting decisions for people. What I hope people understand, however, is that some traditional parenting lore, wives' tales or theories don't apply in an age where we have refined products that accelerate the effect of chemicals on the human body."
Prosecutors are still decided whether or not to charge Paulette and Joseph as well as a third party member who was present during the incident.
Watch this video to learn about alcohol poisoning:
More from AOL.com:
Mother brings topless 2-year-old daughter to panhandle around Times Square
Autistic student dies after being left on hot school bus
Doctors warn that young children are accidentally getting drunk from hand sanitizer