Baby seat strap cited in death at day care http://t.co/PoP2Kl9M00
— KCCI News (@KCCINews) September 10, 2015
After an 18-month-old baby was found dead in a car seat at a Waterloo, Iowa day care, medical examiners stated that the death was an accident and occurred because of the baby's car seat strap.
The Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier newspaper reported that, according to Dr. Michele Catellier, Brody Harrelson died of mechanical or positional asphyxia from his car seat strap.
According to the little boy's death certificate, he may have also had myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart wall, which possibly contributed to the death. The myocarditis was likely caused by a viral infection.
Police say that the tot was buckled into his car seat for a nap on June 17. When day care employees went to wake the boy up, he was found unresponsive. He was pronounced dead later at Covenant Medical Center. At the time, nine other children were in the unregistered day care.
Watch this video for car seat safety instructions:
More from AOL.com:
3-year-old boy dies after being put in washing machine 'as punishment'
Mom drops 2 kids off at fire station, says she 'doesn't want them anymore'
Man severely injured after e-cigarette explodes in his mouth