Thirty years ago today on September 1, 1985, the 73-year-old Titanic wreckage was finally discovered.
The tragedy of the RMS Titanic rocked the world on April 15, 1912, when the "unsinkable" ship destined for the U.S., hit an iceberg and took 1,500 innocent lives.
While you may know the famed version of "Titanic" from the 1997 feature film starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet, the true story of the Titanic extends long after "Jack and Rose" were gone.
See photos from the Titanic shipwreck and the artifacts that were uncovered in 1985:
Seventy-three years after the ship sunk, a conjoined U.S. and French expedition located the wreckage of the RMS Titanic. Led by Dr. Frank Ballard, the infamous wreck was found approximately 400 miles east of Newfoundland, 12,000 feet down on the ocean floor.
%shareLinks-quote="We came on it early this morning...It was just bang, there it was on top of it. Our initial reaction was excitement, then a coming down off that to realize we had found the ship where 1,500 people had died." type="quote" author="Dr. Frank Ballard" authordesc="New York Times" isquoteoftheday="false"%
The sinking of the Titanic claimed the lives of 1,500 out of the 2,200 passengers and crew aboard. Today, we remember all those who lost their lives; as well as thank the expedition crew for giving their loved ones a little bit of clarity to this age-old mystery.
%shareLinks-quote="To finally put those souls to rest was a very nice feeling." type="quote" author="Dr. Frank Ballard, expedition leader" authordesc="CTV" isquoteoftheday="false"%
The last Titanic lunch menu that was discovered will be auctioned off soon:
More from AOL.com:
Today in History: Princess Diana killed in car crash
Today in History: Prince Charles and Princess Diana divorce
Today in History: Hawaii becomes 50th state
The Latest from our Partners
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Mortgage rates drop once again, remaining below 3%
- Refi with no hidden fees/points - as low as 2.125% APR (15yr)
- Do this before your next mortgage payment (it's genius)
- 4,800 Amazon shoppers swear by Bissell’s high-pressure surface clea…
- This sustainable skincare brand makes healthy products for you and the…
- Amazon shoppers rave about these $25 rain boots that ‘are a steal in c…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Two Savings Accounts That Pay 10x What Your Bank Pays
- CD Rates Skyrocket
- What Most Americans Don't Realize About Car Insurance