Top 5 On the Go: Friday August 28
1. Father of slain reporter to get tough on background checks
The father of a reporter who was shot and killed on live TV earlier this week said on Friday he now plans to buy a gun and fight for tougher background checks and firearm laws.
2. Appeals court reverses major NSA data collection ruling
A federal appeals court ruled in favor of the Obama administration on Friday, reversing a major ruling that found the NSA's bulk collection of phone data illegal.
3. Jury delivers verdict in NH prep school rape trial
Owen Labrie, a 19-year-old former prep school student, was convicted on Friday of misdemeanor sex offenses against a 15-year-old freshman girl, but was cleared of rape.
4. Deadly storm heading toward US
Tropical Storm Erika turned deadly on Friday, killing at least 12 people on the small island of Dominica as it heads toward the U.S.
5. Pentagon making big investment in new technology
The Pentagon announced a major new venture on Friday to develop flexible, cutting-edge electronics and sensors that could transform the military's technology.
For more on these stories, check out AOL.com now.