This man went blind from sleeping in his contacts

CDC to 40 Million Contact Lens Wearers: You're Doing It Wrong

39-year-old Chad Groeschen has gone blind in one eye because he slept in his contact lenses. Last month, Groeschen noticed that his eyes were itching while he was at work. He figured it was just allergies, but he went to the doctor for medicine in case of a sinus infection.

The next day, Groeschen woke up with a horrible pain in his left eye. He could barely see through it. When he went to a specialist, he was told that his eye was severely infected with Pseudomonas bacteria. The doctors said that Groeschen likely contracted the bacteria from sleeping in his contacts.

Groeschen's contacts were "extended wear," so he only took them out about once a week. However, doctors told Groeschen that the bacteria probably get under his lens and then attacked his eye. The doctor said that "(The) contact kind of acts like a petri dish."

Now, Groeschen will likely need a cornea transplant to regain vision in his eye as it has become blind. He hopes that people will read his story and realize the importance of taking care of our eyes. He said:

"If anything happens to your eye seek a specialist immediately...(and) maintain impeccable hygiene when it comes to your eyes."

Week 3 - 11th eye appointment. Feeling a lot better. Head hurts a lot less Infection almost gone. Vision still wonky.

Posted by Chad Groeschen on Wednesday, August 12, 2015

More from
Parents lock and abandon baby in a hotel room safe
22-year-old man gets trapped in a washing machine for 3 hours
Man and his much younger girlfriend arrested for locking his son in a car during dinner date
Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.