Woman bitten by rattlesnake in bathroom of California home
A 66-year-old woman in Anaheim Hills, Calif., was bit by a rattlesnake on the foot. It happened Tuesday night when the she found the juvenile reptile slithering in her bathroom, under the sink.
"We're all kind of on pins and needles waiting for her," says Anaheim hills resident Ely Eaton about his neighbor. "She was hobbled away, surrounded by medical personnel."
The tight knit col-du-sac sits close to a large canyon and hiking trail. Neighbors say they see snakes and like critters from time to time, but can't imagine how a rattlesnake made it into the home. Eaton explains they're found 'mostly in the pool or backyard, under stones, shady little wholes, wood piles..." And in some cases, hiding in the grass.
Susan Conterras, who lives a few doors down, says her dog was bitten in the face a few days ago while out for a walk. "His jaw just started hanging open, like he couldn't keep his mouth closed and it was just swollen," she says. "It was just terrible. I was grateful it wasn't my daughter that got bite and I don't know I just felt badly ... Poor doggy finally got to go out after it was so hot." You can see his tiny scars. The little guy was taken to the hospital, and given anti-venom. According to animal control, where there is one baby rattlesnake, there is likely to be more.
And after two bites in one week, neighbors say they're on edge. The best thing you can do is just to educate yourself on what they look like, where they go so you can do your best to avoid them.