Woman's tick bite leads to partial leg, arm amputation
An Oklahoma woman had to have her arms and legs amputated after a tick bite caused a life threatening infection.
40-year-old Jo Rogers was on a hiking trip with her husband July 4th weekend when she was unknowingly bitten by a tick. As soon as they returned home, she knew something was wrong. At first she thought it was the flu, but she became increasingly more and more ill.
Doctors were baffled; all tests came back negative. It wasn't until all of her limbs started developing gangrene that they figured out it was Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, a potentially fatal tick-borne disease.
"After things started going bad and she went into septic shock, the blood flow cut off to her limbs, and her hands and feet started going black," her husband Keith told ABC News. "So, two weeks ago, they had to cut off her right leg just above the knee, her left leg just below the knee and both her arms about mid-forearm."
Rogers will likely remain in the hospital for the next few months, until she has fully recovered. At that point she will transition to rehab.
Her cousin, Lisa James Morgan, set up a GoFundMe page to raise money to help Rogers with medical costs. At this point they've raised more than half of their $100,000 goal.