Your ultimate guide to celebrating National Root Beer Float Day
Happy National Root Beer Day, folks! The ice cream float came about by a man named Robert McCay Green from Philadelphia, PA. On a particularly hot day. Mr. Green ran out of ice for the drinks he was selling and used vanilla ice cream from a local shop as a replacement, creating the ice cream float we know today.
The root beer variation, also known as a "black cow" or "brown cow", is traditionally made with vanilla ice cream and root beer. The most famous root beer brand / restaurant, A&W is celebrating National Root Beer Float Day with free small A&W Root Beer Float anytime between 2 p.m. and store closing.
Incase you don't have an A&W nearby, we've rounded up a few frosty root beer recipes to help you celebrate this perfect summer holiday in the comfort of your home!
Root Beer Float by Billy Parisi
Photo Credit: Billy Parisi
- 4 Chilled bottles of your favorite root beer
- 1 Quart of Haagan Daaz vanilla ice cream
- 1 Pint of heavy whipping cream
- ½ Cup of sugar
- Fresh cherries
- In a standing mixer, whisk the heavy cream and sugar to form stiff peaks. Keep cool before serving.
- Next scoop the vanilla ice cream into 4 tall glasses and pour in the root beer into each glass.
- Top off with fresh whipped cream and cherries.
Don't worry we have a recipe for those of you trying to get boozy too!
Adult Root Beer Float by The Cookie Rookie
- Vanilla Vodka
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Root Beer
- Scoop 2-3 scoops of vanilla ice cream into a glass. Fill halfway up with root beer
- Pour 1 shot of vanilla vodka (about 1.5 ounces) and then top with root beer to fill to the top of the glass.
- Sugar Cookies
- White Frosting
- Root Beer Extract
- Add a few drops of Root Beer Extract to the frosting and mix it well.
- Pipe some frosting onto each cookie and top it with a cherry.
Which ever way you celebrate, definitely let us know in the comments below!
More from AOL.com:
Check out these coffee stains that are turned into lovely art
These 2 unlikely fast food restaurants are killing the rest of the industry
This is exactly what happens one hour after drinking a can of Coke