By ALEXIS BENVENISTE
Female genital mutilation is a huge problem in Somalia. In fact, UNICEF reported that 95 percent of the country's females between the ages of 4 and 11 undergo the process.
The history of FGM is a gory and brutal one, with women undergoing surgery that partially or completely removes the external female genitalia -- a practice that was technically officially banned by the UN in 2012. Unfortunately, the procedure is still widely practiced.
The country currently has one of the highest FGM rates in the world, but pretty soon, female genital mutilation could cease to exist in Somalia.
Somali news outlet Horseed Media reported that Somalia's Ministry of Women Affairs and Human Rights recently announced that they will introduce a law that will ban FGM altogether.
The minister of Women Affairs spoke about this at a recent conference, saying:
%shareLinks-quote="Time has come for us to eradicate this bad practice and protect the rights of girls and women in our country." type="quote" author="Sahra Mohammed Ali Samatar" authordesc="minister of Women Affairs" isquoteoftheday="false%
More from AOL.com:
Welfare recipient drug testing brings shocking results
Moscow hosts free movie nights for the homeless
Approximately 58,000 college students are homeless
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- $400K Refi in this Economy? 1.99% APR (15 yr)
- Need Cash for Your Fixer Upper? Use Your Home's Equity!
- Experts Recommend Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- SOLY HUX is the swimsuit brand that you keep seeing on TikTok
- Mom magically calms 2-year-old’s tantrum in a healthy, loving way: ‘Bi…
- Instagram is living for this photo-worthy cookware set — and there are…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!